Skip to main content

My top interrailing tips

Recently, my friend and I had an amazing adventure interrailing. We covered 2000 miles and 7 countries in two weeks getting on 20 trains overall. It was one of my favourite holidays and has made me want to plan my next adventure. I am going to list a few of my top tips for anyone planning on going interrailing.





1.) Install the rail planner app

Without a doubt the one app you will definitely need to have installed is the 'Rail planner app'. This enables you to plan what trains you will need to get on and how many changes there are, it also shows you if you need to reserve the train in advance. 

2.) Aeroplane mode 

Another tip to link to the technology related one above, is knowing that when you use Apple maps or Google maps you can type it in using data, enabling your phone to find your location, then you can simply put it on aeroplane mode and it still works. So no need to worry about getting lost, only the tiniest bit of data is needed and you are ready to go.

3.) Pack light! My top packing things

One thing I deffiitley learnt from going interrailing is how little you need. Everyone told me to pack lightly which I did (in my opinion) until I picked up my 10kg bag and put it on my pack when I wished I'd been more minimal. 

The main things you will need will be:

3 sets of clothes (max), you can double up an outfit as also pjs and a jumper can be a good pillow on the train. 
A bar of dove soap. This may seem very minimal but it will be all you need in terms of showering. It can be used as a face wash, shampoo and shower gel as well as hand soap. Simply put it under water, rub it with your hands together to turn it into a foamy consistency and you are set. 
A book/ headphones to listen to podcasts/ a notebook to write in

Another idea in terms of clothes which I had read whilst interrailing was to share clothes with the person you are travelling with. That way it feels like you have double the outfits.


4.) Monzo card

This is a great thing to sign up to, if you do this in advance you install the app, register and you will get your monzo card delivered in the post. You can put money on it by transferring it online, Furthermore, you can freeze the card via the app so if it gets stolen no-one will be able to take money out. Also its great to have back up money on and its easy for people to transfer you money to it if you run out whilst your away. It was great for us because some things could only be paid for by card, for example the A'DAM Lookout in Amsterdam. 

5.) Padlocks 

Padlocks were vital when we were travelling, they are great for peace of mind when you want to lock your bags up in a hostel or contained storage area. Whilst places are safe and you could probably trust the people you share your hostel room with you never know. So simply lock your zips together with a padlock and you are sorted.

I hope you enjoyed my interrailing tips and there will be another post soon about what we got up to and the route we went.


Hannah, x 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nice was nice

After a lot of meeting up for pizza and holiday planning with my friends we finally came to a decision. We chose to stay at Hotel Cap 3000 Aeroport Novotel hotel in Nice and we were so glad we did. It had a pool which was never too crowded, the rooms were clean and spacious and the location was perfect.  Occasionally we got the bus to Nice, the bus stop was only round the corner and it only cost €1.50 each way to get off at any stop along Nice promenade. Plus they came every 15 minutes which was so handy. In terms of things to do in Nice we did a Segway tour for an hour which we had prebooked in England and only cost us £26. It was a fun way to explore the town whilst also learning a bit of history. Another day we also got on a train which took us round more of Nice, including stopping off at a castle and overlooking an amazing view, this only cost us €10.  Just a 5 minute walk away from the hotel is the beach which has a variety of restaurants. Our personal favourite was

Cycle tour packing essentials

I have just come back from going on a cycle tour around the Netherlands, this was an amazing experience in which I combined my love of cycling and travelling. One key aspect of going on a cycle tour is the fact that you have to carry your belongings on your bike with the handy design of panniers. However, as I learnt, there are essentials you need to pack and certainly things you can live without. Here is a packing list of what I would advise to pack (and what I'm going to follow the next time I go)... TOILETRIES - Mini shampoo and conditioner  - Dove soap (can be used to wash your face and body) - Travel toothbrush and mini toothpaste  - This works roller-ball (a good idea for all of you that suffer from getting to sleep in new locations, this scent will relax you and help you drift off) - Sanitary towels (to wear in your cycling shorts to keep them fresh) - Roll on deodorant (I tend to opt for the mens version as the scent is stronger and I find it lasts longer) - Roll